Gluten Free Valentine's Chocolate Cake!
This is a wonderfully decadent but yet incredibly easy cake to make. Great for special occasions, dinner parties or just a quiet Sunday afternoon in with a good film – bliss!
1. Pre-heat oven to 180oc/Gas mark 4.
2. Break the chocolate into pieces and melt, along with the sugar and butter, in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and stir thoroughly. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
3. Mix in the ground almonds and then beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
4. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and creamy. Stir a couple of spoonfuls into the chocolate mixture to lighten it and then gently fold in the rest.
5. Spoon into a lightly buttered 20cm (8inch) round cake tin and bake for about 30 minutes (this should be a moist cake so you don’t want to leave it in for too long). Allow to cool before removing it gently from the tin. Dust with cocoa powder or icing sugar to serve.
6. You can make alternative versions of this cake by adding 1tbsp of strong espresso coffee and 1tbsp of rum/brandy or you can try adding 1/2tsp almond essence and slivered almonds for a bit of crunch.